Thursday 10 September 2015

My journey through menopause - Part 2 - A tale by Talents Rathebe.

I found this picture on the Internet and couldn't help laughing when I saw it.  I think it pretty much explains some of the changes my body went through because of the imbalance or fluctuation of hormones. 

I have to admit that I'm very excited with this series of blogs, because I could see that many of you can relate to it. Generally, this is a taboo subject. Many women don't want to talk about it, let alone think about it. But, understanding what happens to our bodies can help us prepare for the future or even deal with the present. 

This is why I decided to share my story, so I wouldn't go on this journey alone. As I mentioned in last week's blog, a lot of the symptoms we go through can be alarming, so I chose to go into detail, so you may understand the symptoms and I can share with you how I deal with mine.

Mrs Sweaty...

Talents, aka Mrs Sweaty sharing her journey of menopause
Hot flushes are horrible, they can come at anytime of the day or night. I now know when they're coming, but I can’t stop them. It feels like a warm heat starting from my upper chest. Can you imagine wearing your favourite perfume, smelling so good, suddenly your body starts over heating, then you become completely covered in sweat, then the body cools down, the sweat becomes cold and you start shivering? 

You look around every body else looks just fine, then you go like, "Is it cold in here or it’s just me?" And friend, you find out, yes, it's just you! No one understands anything you are going through and the look in their faces says it all... oh my, it's hilarious!

Sometimes it’s not hot but cold flushes I suffer from. I will never forget last year, right at the end of winter, I decided to buy a heater, because I felt like the ones in the house were not hot enough. I wanted the portable one, so I could take it with me everywhere I went. I could go from one room to another without disturbing my wonderful hubby. One day, he walked in the house, while I was with friends and said, “ Be careful, my wife will cook you alive." We laughed so hard and until today, that memory always chases Mrs Grumpy away. These are but a very few examples.

My Treatment

Talents and her patient son, Romeo Rathebe.
The last thing on my mind is to torture people around me, but the flushes suffocate me and I end up gasping for air. But, thank God, there are things I can do to minimize these symptoms. My doctor prescribed me some hormone replacements and vitamins, and I watch my diet very carefully. It's very important to visit your GP so you can receive a proper diagnosis and treatment.

But, what I've been relying on the most is my faith. I know menopause is a normal process for women, but I never make excuses for they way I feel or behave. I refuse to use it as an excuse to manipulate others, be nasty or impolite to those around me, just because I'm going through menopause. 

It’s my problem and I have to find ways to deal with it. Sometimes, I need to excuse myself from people and situations. It’s better than making them feel uncomfortable and having to deal with the aftermath of an explosion. We are still in control of our minds and can make the right decisions...most of the time. Yes, some days are hard, but remember, these things don’t last forever. 

Blood is thicker than water

Frank Rathebe helps his wife by being patient and understanding
Your family can be a huge source of support. Once you doctor has diagnosed you, talk to your family and friends about what you are going through, so they may know how to help you. You will be amazed at how understanding they can be, especially in those days when you are not so on top of things. People can’t read your mind or feel what you are going through, so speak out and receive as much help as you can get. 

There is nothing to be ashamed of. As long as you still have breath in you, it means your Heavenly Father still needs you right here in this world, but you can’t do it alone, so cling to Him, make Him your best friend and you will never need to go through this alone. Never forget, how special you are, so value yourself by taking good care of yourself and your health. 



Till next time.....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you BigsisTalents for sharing your experience. I must say l don't recall as a child, an adolescent nor as an adult around my mother and her friends, ever once remembering hearing any comments or conversations around menopause.

    When l hit my forties l was still unaware of menopause. I couldn't understand why my then boss wore very light short sleeved summer dresses and went rhubarb red when in the cold.

    Going through menopause myself l have noticed women around my age today are more aware and observant. They will pass an understanding and sympathetic comment when they see me fanning profusely.

    This is encouraging to hear and to note we are helping those behind us be aware for themselves.

    This post is very helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you BigsisTalents for sharing your experience. I must say l don't recall as a child, an adolescent nor as an adult around my mother and her friends, ever once remembering hearing any comments or conversations around menopause.

    When l hit my forties l was still unaware of menopause. I couldn't understand why my then boss wore very light short sleeved summer dresses and went rhubarb red when in the cold.

    Going through menopause myself l have noticed women around my age today are more aware and observant. They will pass an understanding and sympathetic comment when they see me fanning profusely.

    This is encouraging to hear and to note we are helping those behind us be aware for themselves.

    This post is very helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete